Accessability Links
Cookies on our website
By continuing to use this website we will assume you are happy to receive cookies as outlined in our cookie policy
Accept Policy

IBM warns of digital divide in British economy

May 05
 
Tags: IBM
Share this story:
IBM warns of digital divide in British economy

Image credit: iStockphoto/anilakkus

A clear divide is emerging in the British economy between forward-looking firms embracing digitisation and those that are slower to adjust to the latest innovations.

That's according to the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and IBM, which released a study showing that just over half (55 per cent) of businesses are rapidly adopting digital technologies and processes, while the remaining 45 per cent are being left behind.

The study noted that the UK ranks 14th in the world for company-level uptake of digital technology, suggesting that many British firms are struggling to digitise their operations at the same rate as their foreign counterparts.

This is despite the UK being the leading market for e-commerce and in fifth place for the availability of technology.

More than four out of ten organisations (42 per cent) said their digital transformation efforts were held back by a lack of appropriate skills within their enterprise, while a third (33 per cent) said the return on investment was unclear.

Connectivity challenges and concerns over security were also identified as barriers to digital adoption.

According to the CBI, one of the key steps companies should be taking to make the most of digital technology and opportunities is appointing a chief digital or technology officer to the senior executive team.

The business group also recommended increasing the age and skills diversity of boards and board advisers, so organisations can exploit the skills and knowledge of a new generation of "digital natives".

CBI director-general Carolyn Fairbairn said: "It's vital that businesses in all sectors - from manufacturing to retail - truly understand digital technology's potential, from the boardroom to the shop or factory floor."

David Stokes, chief executive of IBM UK and Ireland, commented: "As one of the leading digital economies in the world, the UK finds itself with a tremendous opportunity and responsibility for business leaders to sustain and grow our leadership in the world.

"This is an opportunity that we in the business community should be hugely excited to face together."

Search Mindbench.com for the latest management consultancy jobs and consulting recruitment opportunities or contact us on +44(0)207 089 9017.

Share this story:
Add new comment
Jobs Related to this Post
5 result(s) found 
Page 1 of 1 

£40k-£50k plus excellent bon...
Central London
Customer Success Manager - Growing Tech Firm, Central London - Central London£40k-£50k plus excellent bonus and benefitsOur client are a technology start-up based in Camden which use a SaaS platform
Competitive for the best graduates wit...
Central London, limited travel require...
Analysts for Procurement Specialist Consulting Firm - Central London with only 15% travel requiredExceptional to hire the best experienced graduatesLondon based Management Consultancy – Analyst Our
£120k-£150k plus bonus, plus...
Zurich, Germany
Our client are looking for Project Managers with the ambition to lead their projects and help us grow their firm.  They are a boutique management consultancy
£35k-£40k plus 15% plus prof...
London or Zurich
Our client are actively seeking exceptional individuals to join our team as Business Analysts in London. They are a boutique management consultancy. They partner with private equity firms and their
£35k-£45k plus excellent bon...
Central London and North London
FDI Lead Generation Consultants - Central London and North London£35k-£45k plus excllent bonus, benefitsOur client's team is growing and they are on the lookout for a FDI lead generation