Our client has earned their reputation as a preeminent global Executive Search and Leadership Advisory business, specialising in the industrials sector, and focused on serving publicly quoted, privately owned and PE backed organisations in the global Industrial and Energy Transition markets.
As the pace of innovation quickens and societal attitudes, in particular relating to diversity and sustainability, are changing, it becomes increasingly challenging for companies to succeed. Alongside their 50-year Executive Search history, they offer Strategic Leadership Advisory services including personal counsel, psychological assessment, and remuneration consultancy. Their business is built on relationships, knowledge, and trust. As advisors, they believe in always going the extra mile to apply thought, empathy, independent rigour, and conviction to their work. They offer advice, solutions and provide a personal touch, while maximising their networks, insights, and experience for our clients. They are exceptional for their specialist focus, truly international reach, and senior level contacts.
As a result of their strong growth trajectory and the increasing complexity due international expansion, they are seeking their first Finance & Administration Director to join their growing team.
Based in the Head Office the Finance & Administration Director will report to the MD the Board, and plays a commercial leadership role in delivering a service to colleagues and clients consistent with a high-quality back-office operation.
Leading a team of 5, he/she will have full responsibility for:
•Finance, Risk & Compliance
•Operations – Executive Assistants, Front of House and Ops support
He/she will also participate in and contribute to supporting:
•Business development & sales
•Hiring & Development
Growth support areas:
•Support the Board with advice and solutions delivery relating to:
onew offices in new territories
onew Partner hires
oliaison with legal, tax and financial experts for advice
odiscretionary bonus and dividend policy
Finance, Risk & Compliance
• Supported by an experienced, financially literate Board member and working collaboratively with the external accountants, the role will include running the day-to-day financial processes such as payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cost control & expense management and bank account/cash control, to facilitate the production of monthly management and annual statutory accounts, run and provide suitable financial information including KPI’s for decision support and “no surprises”
• Deliver budgets and regular forecasts to support Board decision making and operational decisions
• Develop and oversee a financial control environment that protects the assets of the business including signatories, limits, checks and balances
• Ensure that appropriate, up to date cloud based financial technology is used
• Develop an appropriate compliance and risk environment that appropriately mitigates risk (such as GDPR), and adheres to the law without suffocating the business
• Ensure that business insurances are appropriate, offer the right level of coverage and are regularly reviewed
• Manage, with outsourced support, the pensions provider, the EMI share scheme and tax compliance
• Manage the banking relationship/s and develop and manage any borrowing facilities, foreign exchange transactions and cashflows to underpin the liquidity of the company.
• Lead, develop and motivate the ‘back-office team’ who directly support the client facing Consultants ensuring that they provide an outstanding service to the business and its’ clients
• Ensure that appropriate, up to date cloud-based technology is optimised
• Seek opportunities to improve processes, documentation, communications and service levels
• Optimise the organisational administrative structure of the support teams, their roles and responsibilities with the ultimate focus on outstanding client service and removing/reallocating redundant or unproductive processes and activities
• Ensure that appropriate HR policies and procedures are in place and maintained
• Ensure that the firm has an appropriate approach to Diversity & Inclusion including amongst our employee group
• Maximise the use of technology to efficiently and effectively run HR, including managing employment contracts, pensions, holidays, supporting training and development as well as effective management of joiners and leavers,
• Manage and administer the healthcare provider
• Ensuring new staff complete training on GDPR and systems
• Running regular training sessions with staff to create awareness of company policies and procedures
• Liaising with the Board with regards to key areas of HR risk and ensuring the company is complying with statutory HR policies and procedures
• Liaise with employees with regards to general HR queries (excludes compensation)
• Draft contracts of employment for new starters with appropriate employment lawyer support
• Provide consistent HR induction including fire safety etc.
• Lead and develop the annual performance review process
• Play a support role in recruiting for the firm across all levels of the organisation including Consultant hire processes
• Monitor and manage the compensation/commission system/s to ensure that they remain relevant and motivational
• Ensure that the business operates within the law and manage (with advisers) any legal issues that may arise
• Specifically, this will include managing and advising on contracts of employment, terms & conditions for clients and candidate contracts (including Interim, Search, Advisory, Fixed Term Contracts and permanent employment contracts), property leases and equity plans
• Project managing landlord relations, leases, renewals, leasehold improvements, dilapidations and office moves
• Ensure that the office environment supports the well-being of the team and the execution of a high-quality client service including for hosting clients and candidates
• Manage and optimise the use of technology, furniture, security, lighting, air-conditioning, power, internet connectivity, telecoms and facilities
• Maintain modern, efficient systems covering communications, databases, networks, computer hardware, software, and equipment, making recommendations for improvements as required
• Work closely with external suppliers to whom Technology service is outsourced, ensuring that the business’ technologies are fit for purpose, cost effective and up to date and secure
• Advise on selection of, and project manage upgrades and changes to technology
• Ensure policies and procedures across the various functions are fit for purpose and reviewed where necessary e.g., mobile phone policy
Skills & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following qualifications, experience and skills:
•Commercial financial acumen that translates into an operational mind-set
•Established experience of running the Finance and Administration teams within a similar sized international professional services organisation or a #2 within a larger organisation who is ready to step up
•Detail oriented, big picture thinker, strong communication skills, well organised, empathetic, prioritises, multitasks, collaborative, decisive, persuasive, flexible, leader, strong listening skills, and business acumen
•Gravitas, maturity and authority
•Cognisant of the balance required culturally to support client facing Consultants and their service needs while running a tight ship.